What is Toyota Safety Sense?
Toyota Safety Sense is Toyota’s latest package of advanced safety features. So far it is only available on select vehicles, but Toyota is working on including it on all future vehicles. This combination of safety features will help make drivers feel more safe and secure on the road. Let’s take an in-depth look at what features are included in the Toyota Safety Sense package and what their benefits are.
Toyota Safety Sense Features
- Pre-Collision System (PCS): This feature uses a forward-facing radar and camera that scans the road ahead. It works to help drivers avoid potential collisions. When a potential threat is detected, the driver is alerted with an audible and visual warning. If the driver doesn’t apply the brakes, the brakes will automatically engage to avoid a collision.
- Lane Departure Alert (LDA): This feature is designed to detect painted lane markings on the road and will alert you if you start to drift out of your lane. The system uses a beeping sound and indicator light to inform you that you should take corrective action.
- Auto High Beams (AHB): Auto High Beams provide better visibility, especially at night. The system uses a camera to detect oncoming vehicles the high and low beams are then able to switch automatically.
- Pedestrian Detection (PD): This system uses millimeter-wave radar with a camera capable of shape recognition to notify you both visually and audibly that a potential pedestrian is in your path. If you don’t react, the automatic braking and collision-avoidance support will help prevent the collision from happening.
- Dynamic Radar Cruise Control (DRCC): This feature works like conventional cruise control, but it does even more. It uses forward-sensing radar technology and a camera to detect the speed and distance of the vehicle ahead of you. It can help maintain a preset following distance, than accelerate to the original cruising speed when the road clears. No longer will you have to keep turning your cruise control on and off due to traffic.
What vehicles have Toyota Safety Sense?
Prius, Prius C, RAV4, RAV4 Hybrid, Avalon, Avalon Hybrid and Land Cruiser.